Wednesday, May 28, 2014

You better Belize it!

I think I'm officially the worst blogger in the history of bloggers. I may also be the only one that has learned to type with webbed feet. It's a bitch.



Another reason for my month hiatus was because I went to Belize with a few peeps! Unfortunately Bernadine wasn't able to join, but in case you were curious, things are going quacktastic. I don't know where to begin or end so I'm going to give it to you fast; If that's possible. I work with a lovely woman who owns an excursion company in San Pedro on Ambergis Caye, an island tourist destination close off Belize City. She helped us decide where to stay and what to do. I was going to do some diving but it ended up being abnormally windy the whole week and too dangerous to dive. So instead we got set up doing some things with Seaduced by Belize, the excursion company. We went on a catamaran to the next island, Caye Caulker, reef fished for hours,  went on a Mayan ruin tour (I don't suggest doing this by boat, it took all day), and snorkeled at shark ray alley. Holy hell there's nothin like treading water with a bunch of sharks all around you. I almost flew this tail back to Texas.

We stayed at a fabulous resort, The Grand Caribe, a few miles north of town. They don't really use cars, so if you don't have wings, golf carts or bikes are available to rent.

 

Food in Belize was good, a lot of seafood and fruit, but I'm biased because Houston has such great eats.
Fave restaurants- Mangos: get the Rita. Blue Water Grill: delicious sushi, suggest a reservation. Ahi Tapas: quaint outdoor next to the beach with Christmas (or anytime) lights strung everywhere.

If you are looking for a nice beach front where you can take a dip or build a sand castle, this isn't the place. If your hotel maintains their beach front, it can be nice but the ocean is covered in sea grass and the sand is essentially crushed sea shells. Belize is a diving, snorkeling, and excursion type of place.  Don't get my wrong, you could lay by the pool or next on beach all day if you wanted, I still did my fare share and came back quite rested.



I would definitely go back to Ambergis Caye. The peeps were so friendly, it's safe, and there are plenty of things to keep busy.


Where: Ambergis Caye, Belize
Peak season: November - early May
Flight: 2 hrs direct from Houston to Belize City
Transportation: Tropic Air from Belize City to Ambergis Caye
Overall: 4 feathers

No comments:

Post a Comment